Tuesday, March 4

Sibu, Sarawak (Part 2)

Sibu is known as the 'Heart of Sarawak'. A swan is a mascot or symbol of Sibu. I didn't take any picture of the swan. My friends were not interested to snap it. Hey, let me tell you somethings about Sibu.

In 19th century, when James Brooke a British adventurer took advantage of the divisive political situasion in Sarawak, Sibu at that time was still known as 'Maling'. Majority 99% of the community are Chinese. They are comprises of a colourful mix of ethnic groups such as Iban, Melanau, Malay and Orang Ulu. The main Chinese dialects spoken there are Foochow and Hokkien.

Err... Sorry guys, this is not a history blog. Hahaha...

Click here for more information about Sibu.

"Pokok Besar" is near Sibu town. It's not the symbol of Sibu but it is a very interesting place to visit. This "Pokok Besar" has its own story but I'm too lazy to write it down. If you are interested to know more, read the information from the pictures.
The information about "Pokok Besar".

I ate 'Laksa Sarawak' before we went to the airport. What's so special about it? I don't know. Maybe they use mee hoon instead of mee laksa, and the gravy tasted mostly like Laksa Johor but it's more dilute.
I bought some things for my friends, colleagues and for myself. Not so expensive stuffs though. Not because I'm a miser, but because my budget is not enough. Hehehe...
These are souvenirs from a very kind lady, Kak Ha. She treated my friends and I as her relative. 'Sarawak's Belacan' is the only one thing I bought from Sibu market. 'Sagu', 'Ikan Salai' and 'Geragau' were bought by Kak Ha. Thank you Kak Ha. Your kindness is very much appreciated.
Time to head to Peninsular. A very short holiday, but it's fun. I'll miss you, Sibu. We were still snapping some pictures till we were on boarding. I forced myself to bought this AirAsia T-shirt. Why? Because my friends convinced me that it is NICE and the stewardess added
"You will not get it at downstairs. We selling this t-shirt in the plane only."
Ceh... She seduced me to buy it.
Finally, I bought it because the stewardess named Syamsina, was so friendly. Wakakaka...

Bye-bye Sibu. Thanks Yana.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

waaaa....so happy aa can go to sabah..in your face i can see that you are very happy...thank you for your souvenirs....thank's alot...

Rina said...

diana darling,
i went to sarawak not sabah.
sabah is coming soon.
maybe after the exam.
interested to join me?